WANT TO SERVE THE BEST REAL MASHED POTATO? Time poor? Only have access to imported, nutrient depleted powdered mash.
Potatoes South Australia, the University of Adelaide and Maggie have the answer!! 60% of potatoes grown in South Australia are waste product due to not meeting the supermarket requirements for shape, size etc.
Real, South Australian, pure potato puree, absolutely no lumps – UHT with 9 months shelf life available to your door from kg to tonne. Even better is the skins are used, leaving no waste and adding to the nutrient content. An innovative solution to reduce potato waste and aid time poor chefs across Australia.
The brains behind the project is CEO Robbie Davis…..
Puree Australia Pty Ltd is a new company established by the South Australian Potato Industry’s representative body, Potatoes South Australia Incorporated. The company is utilising graded-out, but still fit for human consumption potatoes, which do not meet supermarket specifications due to size, shape or skin finish. These potatoes are washed, cooked, pureed, treated with a UHT (ultra-heat treatment) step and then packaged in pouches. The resulting puree has a shelf-life of at least 6 months at room temperature, 12 months in refrigeration and can even be frozen if required.
The puree is:
- Made of 100% South Australian potatoes that are processed within days of harvest (not stored)
- 100% pure – it contains no additives, no preservatives, no colours, no emulsifiers, no added salt
- Processed skin-on for extra nutrition
- Has the authentic colour and taste of real potato
- 99% fat free
- Gluten free
- Lactose free
- Cholesterol free
- High in potassium
When cold the puree looks much like mashed potato, but when warmed it has the consistency of a thick paste. Blending the warm puree with butter, cream and salt results in a delightful creamed potato dish. The puree can easily be fortified with different protein sources eg whey powder to about 20% without affecting taste or texture.
The potato puree is very versatile and has been used to manufacture a variety of food products, including:
- Bakery items – pastry, biscuits, crackers, muffins, bread
- Desserts – soft-serve, sorbet, mousses, icy poles
- Savoury dishes – as a base for soups, stews and pie fillings
- Dips and spreads – as a replacer for cream cheese
Packaging can be customised as required:
- Potato Puree for food service; 5kg, 10kg pouches
- Potato Puree for bulk customers; 20-100kg tubs and 250-500 litre Pallecon- Food Cubic Containers.
Robbie Davis CEO Potatoes South Australia Inc & Puree Australia Pty Ltd
+61 427 084 319
Maggie has been working with the potato and come up with this simple Buttery mash recipe…
BUTTERY MASH USING POTATO PUREE
- 250g potato puree
- 10g butter
- 15g cream
- 2g pink salt
Place all ingredients into a medium sized saucepan over low heat, stir regularly until all ingredients are incorporated and warm, serve.