This month we focus on pulses. Pulses are the edible seeds from the grain legume plant which include all lentils, beans and peas. There are so many ways and benefits to incorporating pulses into your cooking some of which we list below.
- Cost effective
- Nutrient, Protein, dietary fibre rich
- The protein in legumes is bio available in the body
- So versatile
- Great for many diet types
- Contain B group vitamins and minerals such as zinc, calcium and magnesium
- The cooked pulse is soft, when approached appropriately, pulses can be incorporated into tasty texture modified meals
- Low GI, sustained energy
We try to include pulses flour or seed form into many of the Foundation dishes, some ways include:
- Pulse flours are a fantastic and simple way to increase the protein within a recipe. Try opting ¼ of the regular flour in a recipe for a pulse-based flour such as Besan/chickpea.
- Pulses can be used in sweet dishes too, try a pulse-based brownie or chickpea and peanut butter biscuits.
- Great additions to soups, salads and casseroles.
- Perfect base for dips.
The diversity of legumes makes them perfect at Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner.
For more information, visit Grains and Legumes council https://www.glnc.org.au/