A bit more effort than opening a tin, but once you taste home braised beans there is no comparison. A perfect anytime meals that your residents will be truly grateful of.
Health Benefits….. Did you know; Compared to regular baked beans, this tasty homemade version provides 50% more energy while maintaining a high protein content.
- Drain the soaked beans and rinse in a colander. Place into a large pot and cover with 4 times the amount of cold water to beans. Bring to the boil, skim off any foam or impurities that come to the surface. Simmer for approximately 40minutes or until cooked and tender.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat sweat down the onion in olive oil, until transparent (about 10 minutes).
- Add the dice smoked spec and cook for 4 minutes, add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the bay, carrot and mushrooms and cook no colour for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the apple cider Vinegar.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Mix the mustard powder with the water and stir in along with the brown sugar.
- Bring to the boil.
- Add the cooked beans, cover with a cartouche and foil and simmer over the lowest flame for about 1-2 hours- check regularly.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for approx. 1 hour.
- Discard garlic studded with cloves, and the bay leaf.
- Season and add the chopped mint and parsley, taste, warm and serve.
- 6x thick slice of Rye or Soughdough Bread toasted
- 2 x large ripe avocadoes (optional)
- Cost $1.14 per portion
- Season Any
- Ability Easy
- Can Best Fresh
- Equipment Stove top
|House Braised Beans Serving Size: 188g|
|Per Serving||Per 100g|
|- Saturated (g)||1.7||0.8|
|- Sugar (g)||13.3||7.1|