Apple & Miso Caramel Crumble
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Peel, core and cut apples into eighths, place into a bowl with a good squeeze of lemon juice, toss and set aside.
- In a heavy base fry pan over a medium heat melt the butter and add the miso and cinnamon and cook for a minuet or two until it begins to bubble slightly then add in the apples, brown sugar and brandy, and simmer gently to reduce and until the apples are tender but not mushy, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When the apples are tender (though not falling apart) and the caramel reduced, remove from the pan and arrange in a baking dish or divide out into 6 ramekins for individual serves.
- To make the crumble mix combine the flour, oats, sugar & cinnamon in a bowl.
- Using a grater, grate the butter into the dry mix and work the butter into the mix with your fingertips to reach a bread crumb consistency
- Top the apples with the crumble mix and place into the oven. Bake for 30 minuets or until crumble is golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve warm with vanilla ice cream or pouring cream.
For Texture Modified Diets
Fine crumble top & crumble dust
- Combine 50g oats, 50g butter, 45g of wholemeal four, 1 tablespoons of brown sugar and ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon in a bowl.
Miso Caramel Apples
- Using a grater, grate the butter into the dry mix and work the butter into the mix with your fingertips to reach a bread crumb consistency.
- Spread the crumble out onto a lined baking tray and place into the oven at 180 degrees and bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- Place the cooled crumble mix into a spice grinder, food processor or Blixer, and pulse a few times until a fine crumb is formed. Be very careful not to over process the crumb, it will release too much of the fat content and clump and become sticky.
- Gently pass the processed crumble through a sieve to separate out the dust and reserve this for the level 4 puree desserts. The remaining crumb in the sieve will be used for the soft and bite sized and minced & moist desserts.
Level 6 Soft and Bite Sized
- Peel and core the apples, dice these down to pieces no larger than 1.5cm x 1.5cm and place into a bowl with a good squeeze of lemon juice, toss and set aside.
- In a heavy base fry pan over a medium heat melt the butter, add the miso and cinnamon and cook for a minute or two until it begins to bubble slightly. Add in the apples, brown sugar and brandy, and simmer gently until the apples are soft and pass the fork pressure test for IDDSI 6 soft and bite sized, and the caramel has reduced, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the apples from the fry pan and allow to cool slightly.
Level 5 Minced and Moist
- For those requiring a level 6 soft and bite sized diet place the warm caramelised apples into a bowl and top with a tablespoon or two of the processed crumble topping. Serve with warm level 4 custard or double thick creamA
- For those requiring a level 5 minced and most diet, place the remaining apples into a Blixer or food processor and modify. Inspect the modification and use the Iddsi testing methods to check the particle sizes and the consistency, then transfer the required serves into serving bowls. Top with a sprinkling of the processed crumble topping. Serve with warm level 4 custard or double thick cream
For those on a level 4 puree diet, modify the remaining apple mix down to a smooth puree. Inspect the modification for lumps and use the Iddsi spoon tilt test to check the consistency. Place the apple puree into serving bowls, sprinkle a touch of the crumble dust over the desert and serve with warm level 4 custard or double thick cream.