SUITABLE FOR L6 SB TO L7 REG
Now I’m not the greatest risotto cook, however I felt that the combination of beetroot, fennel, fresh orange and feta would make a beautiful risotto. Flavours that are both classic and contemporary and the colour …. wow!
I’ve labeled this recipe an IDDSI L6 Soft and Bite Sized, though with some simple alterations to the prep process this could easily be a Level 5 Minced & Moist also!
- Wrap the beetroots in tin foil and place in the oven to roast until tender – generally 45 to 60 min depending on their size.
- Once beets are roasted and tender, remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Give the onion, garlic and fennel (reserving fronds) a super fine dice
- Place stock of your choice on the stove and bring to a gentle simmer while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Add butter or olive oil to a large, heavy base saucepan over a medium heat. Once hot add in garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or so before adding in the fine diced onion.
- Cook the onions for 3 min or until they begin to caramalise, then add the fennel and orange zest.
- Cook for a further 2 to 3 min then add in the orange juice, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar & reduce on the stove.
- Peel the beetroot and roughly chop ½ - 200gm place in a food processor or use a stick blender and puree (it's ok if this has some small lumpy bits) and add into your stock pot, this will give your risotto the most INCREDIBLE colour!
- Cut the remainder of the peeled beetroot into 0.5 x 0.5 cm cubes and set aside
- To the onion, fennel & orange mix add in the Arborio rice and stir through to lightly toasted. Add in the white wine and cook and stir gently until absorbed.
- Next add just enough of the vibrant ruby stock to cover the rice, again stir gently and continuously until absorbed.
- Repeat this process one ladle of stock at a time – again stirring gently & continuously. After 20 min of gentle cooking, incorporating and siring risotto should be tender and all of the stock should be absorbed.
- Gently fold in fresh thyme leaves & the little cubes of soft roasted beetroot.
- To serve select your favourite bowl, crumble the desired amount of feta over the top of the risotto, add some of the wispy fennel prongs reserved earlier, season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.