This Festive dessert is a winner, the baking pastry aroma and flavour combination is too good to resist!
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 210c and line an oven tray with parchment paper.
- ALMOND FRANGIPANE: Place the softened butter and sugar into the bowl of a kitchen mixer, use the paddle attachment and beat of high for 5-8 minutes or until pale and aerated. Add the egg and beat, lastly fold in the almonds and flour, mix to combine, set aside.
- APPLE: Peel, core and cut the apples, place into a bowl with the lemon and sugars. Heat a large pot on the stove and add the apple mix, stir occasionally and cook on high for 8-10 minutes or until tender, but not falling apart, set aside to cool.
- ASSEMBLY: Work on a pastry sheet or layer piece of parchment paper. Melt the butter, using a pastry brush, butter between each layer of pastry and layer up. With the long edge of the pastry towards you, spread the frangipane over the bottom 1/3 of pastry leaving 1.5 inches at either end.
- Top with an even spread of fruit mince then the apple, butter up the sides and then fold in the ends and roll in 3 to create a log, place the sealed edge on the bottom and transfer to the prepared baking tray. Brush the entire surface with melted butter and dust a generous amount of icing sugar over.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden, reduce to 180c and continue baking for 25-35 minutes or until golden, the pastry is crisp and almond frangipane cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and leave for 10 minutes before serving warm with cream, ice cream or custard.