Hearty and tasty, this is a great Autumn evening comforter, served alongside protein
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 180c
- Place the cubes of bread on a baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes or until dry, set aside.
- Grease a half gastronome tray or similar.
- Place the oil and butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the bacon, cook for 2 minutes, before adding the thinly sliced leek and large pinch of salt, cook for 8-10minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile heat a large wok or frying pan over high heat, add the mushrooms and sauté until lightly coloured and tender, add to the leek mix.
- Pour in the sherry, allow to evaporate, then add the stock and simmer until reduced to ¼. Season the mix with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl whisk the creams, eggs, nutmeg and tarragon, add the bread and then the leek mix. Pour into the prepared baking tray and top with grated cheese.
- Bake for 35-50 minutes or until golden, moist and cooked through (remember it will continue to cook as it cools).
- Preparation 25 minutes
- Cooking 45 minutes
- Cost $1.06 per 80g serve (based on supermarket prices)
- Makes approx. 1kg (80g per serve) 12.5serves
- Best Baked and served fresh
- Season Autumn
- Ability Easy
- Equipment stove and oven
|Serving Size: 80g Yield: 12.5 serves|
|Per Serving||Per 100g|
|- Saturated (g)||9.4||11.8|
|- Sugars (g)||2.0||2.5|