The dried apricots in verjuice are available for purchase at Maggie’s Farm Shop
The pavlova recipe base can used with your favourite toppings – perhaps delicious fresh berries?
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer with a pinch salt and whisk until peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, a third at a time; whisking well, until the mixture is stiff and glossy. Check the sugar is dissolved by rubbing between your fingers.
- Add the cornflour and one tablespoon of Verjuice and do a final combine. You’ll know when the meringue is stiff and glossy because the mixture will have tripled in volume and stands up when the beaters are lifted.
- Shape the mixture into a rough circle on a 12cm x 28cm x 4cm baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the pavlova into the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 150°C. Bake for 45 minutes, then reduce to 120°C for final 45 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and allow the pavlova to cool completely in the oven with the door ajar.
- Remove the dried apricots from the jar, letting most of the Verjuice syrup run off to leave them glistening rather than drenched.
- To prepare the cream topping, place the cream into an electric mixer and whip to soft peaks. Then add the crème fraiche and whip for another 30 seconds. Spoon the cream mixture over the cooled pavlova and top with the apricots and almond flakes.