When I think about soup, cauliflower just has to be up there as a universal favourite. Now the colder weather is upon us I wanted to push the humble cauliflower soup just a little further, to create something rich and luxurious, something a little different and eventually up came with this Roast Cauliflower Soup with Bacon, Fresh Pear and White Beans.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees and line a flat tray with baking paper
- Break down the cauliflower into florets and place in a bowl with whole garlic cloves and 30ml of extra virgin olive oil, toss, and season with salt & fresh cracked pepper. Evenly space on an oven tray and place in the oven to roast for 20 minuets
- Over a medium to high heat place a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a stock pot and cook the bacon, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to low, add the remaining extra virgin olive oil and a tsp of butter to the pot. Add the onions and cook slowly for 5 minutes, then add in the sage and thyme and continue to cook the onion mix for a further 5 min until caramelised.
- Into the pot with the onions pour in chicken stock, add the bacon, roast cauliflower & garlic, pears and white beans. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 15 to 20 minuets
- Turn off the heat, add 2 good size tablespoons of butter then blend the soup down to achieve a smooth consistency. Taste and check for seasoning, adjust if necessary.
- To serve, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, a touch of cream, a sprinkling of finely grated vintage cheddar (or a touch of parmesan) and cracked black pepper.