The spices of the Middle East are so accessible to us give so much life to a lamb mince. Wherever you can, keep whole spices and roast and grind them as you need, but if you know you just won’t go to that trouble, think of Herbie’s Spices in Sydney, online or other companies that have such a turnover in spices they will always be fresh. Classic combinations are for a reason – they work, and this is one!
- Pre-heat the oven to 220c, line an oven tray with parchment
- Cut the eggplants in half from top to bottom. Score the flesh gently, season with salt and olive oil on both sides Place onto the tray cut side down and cook in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool slightly
- Scrape out the flesh leaving a 1cm border and finely chop the flesh
- Meanwhile heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook until transparent
- Add the spice and cook out for several minutes. Deglaze with the verjuice
- In another saucepan, sauté the lamb mince, drain off the excess fat and add to the onion. Combine well
- Remove from the heat, stir in the chopped herbs, eggplant flesh, pinenuts and Greek yoghurt - adjust seasoning
- Fill the eggplant shells with the mince mix, cover with foil and place into the oven for 10 minutes or until hot
- Top with yoghurt, olive oil, lemon, and fresh herbs.