This silky baked custard suitable for texture levels 4 through 7 and requires no blending! Its silky and smooth, full of rich umami flavour and rounded out with the aroma of fresh herbs.
Recipe provided by Amanda Orchard, https://texturedfoods.com/
- Pan fry bacon on the stove with EVOO until it’s crisp but not burnt.
- While the bacon is cooking place milk, herbs & garlic cloves (bruise these to release flavour) parmesan, salt and cracked pepper into a saucepan. Add the cooked bacon into the milk infusion.
- Over a low to medium heat bring the milk to a gentle simmer. Once this occurs, remove from the heat, set aside and steep for 30 min.
- During this time preheat oven to 160 degrees and boil a kettle
- Once milk infusion has steeped for 30 min, strain through a sieve.
- Whisk the eggs then slowly pour in milk infusion while continuing to whisk to combine
- Pour custard mix into individual ramekins and place in a baking dish. Pour boiling water from the kettle into the baking dish until 50% full to create a water bath
- Carefully place baking dish into the oven and bake for 15-25 min or until custard is just set.
- Carefully remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 5 to 10 min before serving.